Thanks for stopping by. Take a look around and sift through all the awkwardness that is living and playing basketball in Germany. You get to experience everything without the awkward turtle. Consider yourself lucky. Enjoy!

Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Newspaper Blog: Christmas in the Airport or at Home?

I figured you need a little Christmas cheer so here is one of the articles I did for the newspaper right before Christmas or right after.  I don't remember.

I hope you ventured out into the cold to throw a snowball or two at the neighbors during the first real snowfall. I know a few of connected with friends. I do hope it stays through the week because “I’m dreaming of a white Christmas” for you, because it’s almost guaranteed in Minnesota.

Wow, what an eventful last couple days. I began to contemplate this article sitting and observing at Amsterdam Airport. I had a lot of time on my hands as I was waiting for planes to never arrive. Unfortunately, I have to finish in a Holiday Inn instead of my home. I still love snow nonetheless.

Stress causes people to do crazy things

As I sat in the airport I was able to indulge in a favorite pastime of mine, people watching. One thing that really struck me was how stress causes people to do crazy things. I saw on multiple occasions people fight, argue, and push. Civilized manner was thrown to the curb and people resorted to truly animalistic behavior. Right before I was ready to give up on all civilization I was the recipient of a random act of kindness that kept me from writing off humans during Christmas time forever.

So there I was, seated next to a garbage can looking like a homeless guy talking to a computer. Mind you, I was actually talking to my mother on the internet but at a glance I probably did look a little crazy. I was telling her I hoped to be home by Christmas time but had no idea when I would leave the airport. After I finished talking a lady approached me. She told me, if I could not get home for Christmas I must call her and come to her home. She had a couple boys my age and I was not going to celebrate Christmas alone.

Amazing act of kindness for a complete stranger

This was a complete stranger inviting another complete stranger into her home for Christmas. She had no idea who I was but she knew I might not get home for Christmas and she would not allow it. What an amazing act of kindness for a complete stranger. I was at a loss for words but managed to squeak out a “Thank You.”

The holidays and travel is a recipe for stress. Don’t let a few moments of stress cloud the real meaning of Christmas time: selflessness, love, and peace. Nothing brightens someone’s day more than a random act of kindness. Give it a try.

Have a very Merry Chrismas!
TJW

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Random acts of kindness...

They are really weird and inspiring at the same time. Hopefully everyone will give and receive a random act of kindness at sometime in his or her life.