Thanks for stopping by. Take a look around and sift through all the awkwardness that is living and playing basketball in Germany. You get to experience everything without the awkward turtle. Consider yourself lucky. Enjoy!

Pages

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Classic Interaction

So the other day I went to the open-air market to buy a couple things. The market is only open three days a week and they have a variety of items from meats, vegetables, fruits, to jewelry and clothes. My experience at the vegetable stand really defines the interactions I have with store keepers. So all I needed was a cucumber and I went and grabbed the cucumber and took it to the lady to pay for it. I have figured out how much it was before I bought it so I didn't have to try and figure out how much she tells me. Side note: If I don't know how much something is I usually resort to the biggest bill in my wallet and then I end up with truckloads of change. Back to the story, so the beginning of the interaction goes smoothly. She then starts to speak to me in German. I give her a blank "I have no idea what you are talking about look" and she continues to speak to me in German. She then looks at the guy next to her and he tells her something in German with prompts her to just smile and hand me the cucumber. Mission get cucumber accomplished.

I can honestly say I feel extremely unintelligent in social interactions because all I can do is say a few words and smile. Frustrating at times and also hilarious at others. The beauty of being immersed in a foreign culture.

Game Day vs Muenster. Munster is our big rival and they are looking to move up to a higher league so it will be fun spoiling their hopes tonight.

No comments: