Thanks for stopping by. Take a look around and sift through all the awkwardness that is living and playing basketball in Germany. You get to experience everything without the awkward turtle. Consider yourself lucky. Enjoy!

Pages

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Back on Track

Werne: 86 Herford: 65

The team got off a short stint on the losing train with a home win against BBG Herford last Saturday. With a Dortmund loss to Munster that puts us in sole posessions of second place in the league behing Hagen Haspa.

Recap:

With the ancient festival SIM JU going on we still had a fairly nice turnout to our game. More to come on SIM JU when it finishes up this week which is more than deserving of its own blog post. Granted we play in a glorified elementary school gym but it has a court and two baskets so it gets the job done.

BBG Herford had three Americans on their team so anytime one hears something like that you figure they are going to be pretty solid. We started out this game with a bang scoring 29 in the first quarter to BBG's 15. The quarter was concluded with the coolest alley-oop dunk I have ever had. There was about 3 seconds left in the quarter, we were inbounding from the side. The play was to set a double screen for Matt coming towards the ball for a 3. When we ran the play I went to set a screen for Matt and my defender thinking he was being smart took a few steps towards Matt to stop him. In the meantime I took off for the hoop and Freddy threw a pass right below the rim. I caught it and put it down right on my defenders head. I actually think he helped push the ball up over the rim for me. I would have loved to get that on tape but I the one guy that was taping was too slow and didn't catch it.

We should have put them away after the first quarter but like always we let the team stay in it. Maybe its just we relax a little, maybe its tired legs, I don't know but this is becoming a reaccuring event. They actually outscored us in the second quarter to pull to within 10 at halftime. Coach was definitely upset at halftime. He was really letting us have it.

The second half started and they got a few quick buckets bringing the game even closer. In case anyone is wondering I am currently not in foul trouble at this time, maybe 2 or 3 fouls. After a bad start to the 3rd quarter we pulled it together and outscored them by four or five.

In the fourth we finally finished them going up by 15 to 20 for most of it. I did end up getting 4 fouls but didn't foul out which is an accomplishment I might add.

BBG Herford was average at best. Their American point guard would play a few minutes then sit for long time for whatever reason. They had a 6'11'' big guy that was so slow he scored on people. I think at one point he had at least 3 and 1's in a row (translation: he made the shot and got fouled). The other American Matt did a good job defending and kept him out of the lane and made him shoot jumpshots.

For us all of us played well. I had 26, Matt and Tremaine both had 18 a piece. We played pretty well as a team and continue to improve which is most important.

All in all a good win and pushing our record to 4-1 in the league.

TJW

Again, Thanks for the comments I really appreciate them and read every single one. Its a nice way for me to know whats going on back at home.

1 comment:

Seth said...

aunti kristi is full of it...no way could she have known from that post...anyways...keep up the good work...any idea if you're comin' home for thanksgiving/xmas/new years???let me know!!!