Thanks for stopping by. Take a look around and sift through all the awkwardness that is living and playing basketball in Germany. You get to experience everything without the awkward turtle. Consider yourself lucky. Enjoy!

Pages

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Day at School

Well I just got back from a morning at one of the schools in town.

So I was in the weightroom yesterday jamming out to my tunes when this lady approaches me right before a set of pull-ups. I take off my headphones to start saying I don't speak German but she starts speaking English. What a nice surprise. She asks me if I can come to her class and teach basketball.

Granted I had to get up a few hours before my normal wake-up time but I thought why not. After finally finding the school, then finding the RIGHT school I made it to gym class. The kids were great. They did a great job listening and trying to speak English. The kids were in the ninth grade. It was a fun class, we learned how to do lay-ups and how to pass then played some games.

One thing that I found very interesting was how diverse this group of kids are. I met kids from Turkey, Poland, Lebanon, Russia, ect... The German school system is set up very interesting. When kids finish grade school they test out into three different schools. The top school is called gymnasium followed by realschule and then halpschule. The school I was at was the lowest school.

It felt good to get involved in the community even if it was only for a few hours because my other than basketball life was getting a little monotonous.

Thought for the Day:
Get involved in something no matter how small and step out of your comfort zone. At first in may be hard and uncomfortable but thats all part of the experience. Afterwards you will look back and thing "wow" I really made a big deal out of nothing. A change of pace in life will rejunvenate the mind and body.

3 comments:

Nathan said...

Trev!
We all say hello---it is cold here like 2 degrees! Nathan aka the wimp cannot chat tonight because he was at the dentist today and his tooth hurts.
Glad to see that you are getting involved in the schools---soon you will be up to my trick--surfing the net for inordinately long amounts of time.
You would be happy to know that the whole crew from here went to the ole clements sausage feast on sunday---i know this would have been right up your alley.
Catch you later.....
nate and kelly

liz said...

Well Trevor it is nice to see you getting involved in the local school--good job. Oh and as far as Alecia in the lead--you better think twice buddy!

KR said...

Trevor,

I am sure the kids loved YOU! Very VERY nice of you to take the time to do that! A little giving back...appropriate time of year to do this!!!

Will be looking forward to more news after your break!
We'll be thinking of you so go and have some FUN & REST UP!

Love,
Auntie Kristi