Thanks for stopping by. Take a look around and sift through all the awkwardness that is living and playing basketball in Germany. You get to experience everything without the awkward turtle. Consider yourself lucky. Enjoy!

Pages

Monday, April 13, 2009

Quick Update

Guten Morgen Alle

It has been way too long I know so since I have some free time today I thought I would sit down and chat a bit. Pull up a chair we got some talking to do. The weather here has been great the past few days but looking out the window right now it is extremely foggy. Interesting! I can´t even see the Dusseldorf tower which is only a few kilometers away.

My Thoughts Right Now

Since I have had more free time than normal I am currently reading a book called "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People." I recommend this book for anyone and everyone if you have not read it yet. I dont care how much you know or what stage of your life you are in. Everyone can take something from this book and become a better human being. I am only on the first principle and I am already suggesting it.

Don´t let the title fool you. This is not your normal self-help, if I just put on the right facade for everyone then everyone like me book. It really looks at funadmental principles in character and values rather than quick fix circus acts. It teaches about paradigms and how we look at the world and situations in it. We do have a great deal of control and are not dicatated as people by our external influences. I don´t want to get into the philosophy right now so just check it out.

I dont know if it is just me or simply coinscience that I am reading a series of books with very similar themes and principles. All these books are coming from different places and different people so I find these similarities very intriguing. I am seeing common themes arise in this book that I found in other books such as "The Secret," "The Alchemsit," and "A New Earth." All books from very different people in various situations in life. Maybe they are on to something here. It has me thinking at least, which is a good thing (I think).

No matter what stage we are in our lives, I think as humans we need to continue to learn and improve (for lack of better words). Experience is a great way but I think the best may be through the experiences of others. This is where reading and networking comes into play. This applies to all aspects of life, personal or business. This just popped into my head but I may come back and expand on it at a later date.

Basketball Update

Well I havn´t actually had any official basketball tryouts since my arrival here in Dusseldorf, very disappointing I know. Or is it? I may not be playing basketball but networking in this game may be even more important than skill. I have been blessed with running into and getting to know some very influential people in the basketball world. A week ago Marko and his dad introduced me to a friend of theirs living here in Dusseldorf. It just so happens that this guy knows almost every Serbian or Ex-Yugoslavian coach here in the world. He is man with a ton of influence and contacts. He is also very willing to help me find a job for next year. Honestly, he can do more for me than my agency can right now. Its crazy how things like this happen.

On another front it looks like Marko is heading to the United States to play basketball. I contacted a bunch of schools around MN for him and Northern State seems to be very interested. Marko and them have been in constant conversation and it sounds like they are excited for him to come over. I had a long conversation with Coach Meyer, Northern State Head Coach, the other day as well and at the end he gave me the name of a Denver Nuggest Scout over here in Germany. Hopefully I will be able to get a hold of him and maybe he can help a little guy from Gustavus get a job.

Well, thats about all I have today. This week I hope to try out with one team near Dusseldorf then head to Frankfurt to try out with a couple teams. I will keep everyone posted but as of right now it seems that I will be heading back to the states a week from Wednesday. I plan on flying into Chicago to meet some college buddies for a weekend of fun. Chi-town look out because the Nassau crew is back together.

Random Note

If anyone is into music check out this guy named Milow. He is from Belgium and has a great sound. I think even the older than me population will appreciate his music. I dont know if he has exploded in the states yet but give it time. Here is one of my favorite songs: You Dont Know.

Smile; Life is Great :)
TJW

No comments: