Thanks for stopping by. Take a look around and sift through all the awkwardness that is living and playing basketball in Germany. You get to experience everything without the awkward turtle. Consider yourself lucky. Enjoy!

Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Does Karneval mean anything to you?

"Wait....is that a guy....dressed up like a girl.....wearing his own skinny jeans" gasped an astonished Mr. Aaron as we pass a few Karneval goers.  

If anyone has seen the NBA commercials "where amazing happens" you might know where this is going.   

KARNEVAL...where guys can dress up like girls but dont have to change their jeans...HAPPENS

I really wish I had the actual picture here but we will have to work with what we got.  Visualize the above picture and the guy is wearing a long curly wig, a flamboyant hat, and make-up.  Now you have the idea... multiple that by a magnitude of ten...enhance...enhance...enhance...enhance...there ya go thats the image I am looking for. 

I think my bro Trapper described Karnevel the best, really got to the heart of it, when he prophecied about the pinnacle of the celebration which is Rosenmontag  "Rosenmonatag means rose monday, or is a corrupted version of rasenmontag meaning crazy monday and either way it is the moday preceeding ash wednesday and the start of lent. Its the highlight of karneval and the german version of Mardigras..........But in laymans terms quite literally means "PARTY!!!!!!"
 
Well done Trap, I couldn't have put it more elegantly myself. 
 
A wise man once told me that Germany has five seasons: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Karneval.  I would like to counter this statement with it has only four: Oktoberfest, SimJÜ, Karneval, and Rain.  When each season ends the countdown to the next begins except for the rain thats an everyday, all year round thing.  It is simply the glue that holds everything together I guess.  Comic relief...maybe. 
 
Since this part of Germany shuts down completely after work Thursday and reopens again on Wednesday we did not have a game this weekend.  We had a different itinerary.
 
  • Man Party Friday Night (Men Only)
  • Party Saturday Night
  • Pajama Party Sunday Night (Unable to attend because of this work thing  I have ot get up for at 7 am)
  • Rosenmontag Parade and Party All DAY LONG (or as long as your party shoes hold up, somes lasted longer than others) (also only to attend after work)
Unfortunately I was unable to partake in all the festivities as I had to work on Monday but I enjoyed as much as I could. 

Here is a little collection of some of the craziness that is Karneval in Werne.  For even more pictures check out the NEWSPAPER'S PICTURES

ENJOY...

TJW

No comments: