Thanks for stopping by. Take a look around and sift through all the awkwardness that is living and playing basketball in Germany. You get to experience everything without the awkward turtle. Consider yourself lucky. Enjoy!

Pages

Monday, November 23, 2009

Newspaper Article

I wrote my first post last week for the newspaper.  Here it is.

Guten Morgen Deutschland!



I hope this column finds you gazing out your window at a beautiful sunny day, although I am not about to bet money on it. I do however admire how gracefully everyone still goes about their day despite the clouds, rain and darkness. I know if I was dealing with this depressing weather year after year I would definitely be financing my psychiatrist's new Audi.


As my first column I would like to take a few moments to get to know each other. Well, rather get to know me since you are undeniably reading a newspaper. Although, if you do see me on the street say “Hello” and then I can get to know you. I do have one condition, can we speak in English please because “Meine Deutsche ist nicht gut.” I do love to learn so if you would like to teach me some Deutsch I am looking for a tutor.


Back to who I am. Most would recognize me as a basketball player for TV Werne but basketball does not define who I am. It is simply a game I love and have been working hard at for over 15 years and fortunately seen some success. Basketball has given me many experiences and allowed me to meet some amazing people. To be honest, it is the reason I get the privilege to write you today. Everyone has their vehicles in life and mine at this period in my life is basketball.


Throughout my months with you I hope to have a conversation, even though it is extremely dominated by one person. I want to make this fun and not just another read. I hope to make you smile every once in while and possibly think a little bit too. I am in a unique position as a foreigner to be able to share my thoughts and concerns with such a large audience and I plan to take full advantage of it. Whether that is good or bad, you be the judge! I have no specific plan on where this is going to go and will simply let creativity be my guide. I will frequently touch on basketball and living abroad but will not limit myself solely to these topics.


Speaking of basketball I should touch quickly on it before I leave you this morning. We won! Oh, and the first wood floor we ever played on in Germany completely and utterly disappointed me!


Until next week,


Trevor J. Wittwer


p.s. If you do not find this post humorous at all you can blame it on Daniel, my translator. The humor must have gotten lost in translation.

No comments: