Thanks for stopping by. Take a look around and sift through all the awkwardness that is living and playing basketball in Germany. You get to experience everything without the awkward turtle. Consider yourself lucky. Enjoy!

Pages

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Stuff not as important as SIM JU

Hello

Just a little bored at work so I thought a would write a thing or two on this blog then head over to the other one and write some too.

Speaking of writing, I am going to be writing a short column for the local newspaper every week which I am pretty excited about. I just confirmed it with them today and I will simply be talking about basketball and living overseas. The first installment will probalby be in two weeks. Most likely it will be simply a blog or excerpt from here with a little more editing to make sure I haven't extremely offended anyone or called out the entire German culture which seems to happen from time to time. Or use extremely long run-ons like the previous sentence.

I am going to work on the basketball game film stuff tonight. We are still waiting for our permanent internet connection so trying to upload the massive game film before was unsuccessful. I must dum it down and try again


SIM JÜ - The Cadillac for Carnies

First off, I was excited I could spell it right because I am currently on a German keyboard.

I just realized I have yet to comment on Sim JU. One of the official German holiday celebrations that freezes the world as is. Everything stops for Sim JU. Gyms close, supermarkets close, restaruants close because why would you need to eat out when there are 3478 half meter bratwurst stands, 25 crepe stands, 7 chocolate fruit stands, 1 amazing chinese stand and enough beer to intoxicate a small country. By the way these are all on wheels except the massive beer tent. But don't fret there is some beer on wheels.

Quick side note: Why do carnivals or anywhere else for that matter insist on having racially correct people working the diversity stands? Does my satisfaction of the food depend on the racial matching of restaurant and employee? But I do appreciate the effort.

This year I limited myself to only 1 day of eating and 2 days of enjoyment. I do have to give it to the Germans on their engineering prowess. This carnival has some bad to the bone rides. Remember the most important fact here, portability. Who cares about the fact it takes a week and a half to set everything up and it shuts down the major roads through town. They have three dimensional spinning.

Now whats a 3-dimensional ride you may ask. Picture this. I pay my three or four Euros for the ride. Thats close to five bucks a ride so this better be good. I step onto the massive circle that spins. I walk to my two person spinnable contraption and get strapped in. Might I add that this spinnable contraption spins on a horizontal axis and is connected to lots of other contraptions that spin on a vertical axis, which is connected to a large circle that also spins on a vertical axis. Now 3-4 minutes of this mayhem. Three times the fun, three times the spinning, three times the recovery time. I need another bratwurst.

The ride referenced above was Shake but my favorite was High Energy. Check them both out in the pictures in the link below.

Here is a link to some cool pics much cooler than mine. Wait, I didn't take any. I knew I was forgetting something. Glad someone else didn't fail.


To another year of mayhem
TJW

p.s. if you are still trying to figure out how to get to the pictures or are upset I didn't post a URL click the word link using only the tip of a yellow florescent highlighter.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i miss sim ju, lets hang out.. hope u like the internship! haha, miss u, love u