Thanks for stopping by. Take a look around and sift through all the awkwardness that is living and playing basketball in Germany. You get to experience everything without the awkward turtle. Consider yourself lucky. Enjoy!

Pages

Monday, December 14, 2009

Das Ist Deutschland

So, I guess I said click too many times in my postings and the invisible powers that be removed my adsense ads.  Just took the rug right out from underneath me.  I may try and appeal just for the meer fact its fun fighting with something bigger than the world as we know it, google. 

So I had to get a little input from Tramaine for this week's edition.  This is his idea and all credit should be given to him.  He doesnt read this blog anyways so just give me all the credit and I will be sure pass it along to him :)

Today's installment is on ICE.  Not the abundance of ice like you might expect in a well-developed 21st century democratic nation but rather the lack there of. 

Today I compiled a short list of places where ice is missing here in Germany. Enjoy!

1. Drinks -- Never have I found a place that puts ice in water, soda, mixed drinks, or any drink for that matter.  I questioned a local about this and he informed me that Germans want to get their money's worth and ice just takes away from the product they are actually looking for.  This specific instance was in regard to an alcoholic beverage so I dont know if this opinion can be held as scientifically significant. 

2.  Injuries  -- Sprain an ankle, here is some cream and a wrap.  Break your arm here is some cream and a wrap.  Contract malaria, here is some cream and a wrap. 

3.  Bags of it readily available in gas stations, grocery stores, or literally any store that sells anything. 

4.  McDonald's beverage dispenser -- You know the drill, grab me a cup, grab me some ice, grab me a coke.  Well, its the same here just leave out the ice not by choice but because of the man.  The absence of an actual ice dispenser attached to the soda machine makes obtaining it impossible.


Is this an adversion to cold or a deep rooted cultural revulsion for this simple pleasure?  I for one like it cold. 

TJW

 

No comments: