Thanks for stopping by. Take a look around and sift through all the awkwardness that is living and playing basketball in Germany. You get to experience everything without the awkward turtle. Consider yourself lucky. Enjoy!

Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Weekend 2 of Big 3 -- Short Wrap-Up with a bunch of tangents

I know this is a day late, big surprise.  I have been feeling a little under the weather lately and spent the last couple days in my bed.  I felt that watching the first season of the The Big Bang Theory was more important than anything else.  Its a different type of humor but definately worth checking out. 

14 episodes later, I arrive back at my keyboard at work.  Not that you are interested in the course of my illness but I am feeling better and actually practiced last night, not well might I add.  Still a little tired from sleeping for 15 hours a day.  Who would have thought. 

I do have a couple remarks on the German health care to note. 

Quick tangent: Germany is the 4th fattest country in the world, right behind yours truely the US.  The fattest country in Europe as a matter of fact, Germany that is not the US.  For all you geographical majors out there the USA is NOT located anywhere in Europe and in case you are wondering where Europe is its across the Atlantic Ocean. You can never be too sure with educational system in the US.  Maybe we should start teaching people how not to be obese, oh wait the information is everywhere people simply are too lazy to change, or just not mad enough yet.  Either way.  I think House is wearing off on me with his truthful sarcasm. I am going to stop now so I dont get any hate mail from my PR manager.  Send all complaints to Trapper Swierenga .

Healtcare system = efficiency at its finest.  Thats what I love about Germans, sooo efficient.  So I go see our team doctor.  He does a thorough 10 sec check of my ears and throat.  From this observation he concludes I have a bacterial infection.  Efficiency. I inferred this by the antibiotics he prescribed that I immediately googled when I got home.  He gives me a mystery shot in my "backside," writes me a prescription and I am on my way.  I leave the doctors office and conveintly located 3 feet from the door is yep you guessed it a pharmacy.  I give the pharmacist my piece of paper the prescription roles out on a little conveyor belt.  I smile, pay nothing and leave.  I almost felt like I needed to tip the pharmacist but didnt feel it was socially acceptable, or is it? She was kind of cute.  Anyways, I walked to the doctor and was out of there with my prescription and back in my bed in under an hour.  Might I add it takes over 20 minutes to walk one-way to the doctors office. Efficiency (the doctor part, not the walking).

Quick Tangent:  I really need to start taking pictures of some of the architecture out here.  On my walk I found some pretty cool houses in some pretty cool neighborhoods.  Much different than the states.  This could be a blog post on its own so I am going to note it and move on. 

Well we won last Saturday 86-65.  We were supposed to win so no surprises there.  If you are brushing up on your German the short non informative online article is riiiiiiight HERE.  There is a point breakdown though that you may find interesting.  That is how good teams with, who are you going to stop?

They were supposed to be one of the better teams in the league only because they have a couple Americans.  Well, all they had was a couple Americans.  I think the Americans for them scored 52 of the total 65 points.  I am sorry but you are not going to win too many games when two players score 80% of your points.  Yes, exactly .8.  If you dont believe me waste 5 seconds of your life and get a calculator out.

I really dont have much to say about the game.  To be completely honest, it was really boring.  We were never really in jeopardy of losing.  No rims were broken, nothing.  I am failing to find words to describe it.  Even the fans that I talked to were semi-disappointed.  Can't please everybody I guess.  Really everyone knew, this is just a warm-up to the showdown we have this weekend in Recklinghausen.  Battle of the unbeatens for top dawg in the league.  Should be a good game.  I guess on the infamous forums (that coach reads and has to fill us in about) they believe we will lose by 20.  Thats why its a belief.  The Easter Bunny also hides my easter basket every year. 

I don't have much to say but wait till the smoke clears then start talking.   

I woke up to a dusting of snow this morning.  All the more excited to be coming home.  Stateside in four days.

TjW

P.S.  Good Luck on your finals Pops and thanks for subscribing to the blog  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yup Jon is sitting next to me and is studying accounting while I read this edition of your blog....and yes it was exactly .8, wasted only 3 seconds of our life because we are efficient Americans.... But my opinion is that efficiency is only "good" if it is effective..... but we can discuss that at a later date

-OJA M