Thanks for stopping by. Take a look around and sift through all the awkwardness that is living and playing basketball in Germany. You get to experience everything without the awkward turtle. Consider yourself lucky. Enjoy!

Pages

Friday, December 4, 2009

Your Favorite PG

I have been a little lazy on giving game reports lately so I am going to rectify my sins and start with the game two weeks ago.  (Okay maybe a lot bit lazy)   I apologize in advance for this post being uncreative but the game happened two weeks ago.

We had a cup game a few weeks back against the same team we scrimmaged and pounded by forty.  In case you are wondering what a cup game is use the brand spankin new search bar I added on the homepage.  I am pretty sure I had an in depth post on this last year sometime.  In a nutshell its a massive lottery tournament with every team in Germany.

Borken, the team we played, is in the league below us and was supposedly on a 28 game winning streak.  Since we had pounded them in a scrimmage by 40 a few weeks earlier no one was really worried about the game.  Tramaine did decide to throw one wrinkle into the mix.  He chose to get sick and not participate in this athletic endeavor. 

This definitely changed the game but we were still confident we could come away with a win.  Since Borken is a lower division team we had to go to their place to play and boy I am glad we did.  They had a semi-normal gym.  They also had a little sky box and a massive projection on the wall of what appeared to be a continuous powerpoint of the Borken players.  Oh, and a wood floor to top everything off.

*Note to self:  Bring camera to game so you don't have to write terrible, uncreative descriptions of the facilities 

As you may already know we ended up winning the game by 3.  Well, its was actually 2 when I went through the scoresheet.  Karma is a b I guess because the scorebook credited me with an extra foul in the first half and forced me to play with four fouls for most of the second half.  I managed to steer away from any contact after my mystical fourth foul and not foul out of the game. 

Since Tramaine was sick I got to display my versatility on the point guard position.  Early in the game we were struggling to get the ball up the floor and into the offense.  They were putting a lot of pressure on us and we were not taking care of the ball.  This is when I decided I needed to take over the point.  I then ran the show for the majority of the rest of the game.  I think I did a fine job if I say so myself.

Borken had an older American that really kept them in the game.  He was a little guard who could flat out shoot the lights out.  He was making the craziest shots, one-foot fadeaways, floaters, deep threes.  I think Borken's biggest mistake is that they went away from him late in the game.

The game fluxuated between us having a ten point lead and them cutting it close.  Everytime I felt like we had gotten a comfortable lead we would throw it down the drain.  Daniel, our big man, made a lay-up with about 20 seconds left in the game to put us up by 3 and seal the win.  Borken came down and missed a three to tie.

All in all ugly but a win is a win.  I could really tell how young our team was at the end of the game just by how people carried themselves.  There was a lot of nervous energy in the last huddle but it was a good learning experience for everyone. 

Your Favorite PG
TJW

P.S.  I think I had mid twenties in the game
P.P.S. For the first time I had opposing fans try to harass me in English, pleseant surprise

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

comment on the harassing in english....

any "tiny Timmy" comments? or I'm not Joe.....Yrjo comments?

Classics that I remember from back in the day when I played competitive basketball...... with you and the rest of the guys.

Hope all is well

OJA