Thanks for stopping by. Take a look around and sift through all the awkwardness that is living and playing basketball in Germany. You get to experience everything without the awkward turtle. Consider yourself lucky. Enjoy!

Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Dunks, Recklinghausen, and Coaching

Well I am finally getting around to do some writing this week, blog writing that is. I sometimes feel like I have a desk job spending so much time in front of my computer. Don't worry I get up every so often to stretch out my hips and upper back. No computer guy syndrome for me. You know what I am talking about: rounded shoulders and upper back, weak inhibited and flat backside, tight hip flexors and and an infatuation with world of warcraft. Wow, this segments very well as a preview for the first fitness tip of the week "STOP SITTING SO MUCH" which make its debut later in the week.

I would have loved to write about our game against Recklinghausen last Saturday a little bit sooner but a little dunk contest in practice happened on Monday. I just so happened to have taped it and wanted the world to see it so I spent some time dabbling with my camera and editing. It just so happens to be the poll of the week as well. Who won: Marko Filipovic or Matthew Goldsmith. If you would like to hear Matt's run-down of the competition check it our HERE. Lets get to the video and don't forget to vote when you get done watching. Exercise your right to vote in the free world even if it just a lowly blogspot page.



This is just a little insight into what we accomplish in our free time. Hopefully there will be more to come with new dunks, dunkers, and of course HOTNESS.

Okay, now to the game last Saturday against 3rd place Recklinghausen that might I add beat us by 50+ the first time we played. Might I also add that we did not have Matt, Junior, or Marc and the majority of the team was sick. Saturday was definately a different story.

We played well and had control of the game for three quarters. The fourth though threw us into a tail spin that can only be described as pitiful. Of course there was help from the officials who had actually done a fine job up to this point. I really can't fault anyone except ourselves. We simply did not execute in the fourth quarter and they did a good job of taking advantage of mismatches. Long story short they outscored us 33-13 in the fourth. A ten point lead dissipates very quickly with a fourth quarter like that.

I have to give Recklinghausen credit. They are a good team. They have very good guards and 3 or 4 Canadian and Americans who are very good players. They are an athletic team who rebounds hard and pushes the ball up the floor. For the fans I think this was a great game to watch as it was a battle right from the tip. What could be more entertaining than a fast paced game between two quality teams mixed with a bunch of threes and some "sicknasty" dunks.

We ended up losing the game 93:100. I had 27 in the losing effort.

Two games left this season. This Friday at Paderborn and the the season finale home against Dortmund.

Coaching:

My men's team took down Soest, the fourth place team, in typical men's team style. A fast paced game mixed with terrible officiating and some technicals to boot. Just another day at the office. Now we can secure the championship at home this Sunday. The champagne is on ice.

One more thing about my men's team. I got the privilege to coach my coach as he played for my team because we were in need of another point guard due to injuries. For a man who hasn't played in awhile he still has some hop to his step but I think the next day he may have been regretting his decision to have played.

Back to the states in about a month
TJW

No comments: